Monday, August 8, 2016

Changing Poison Into Medicine

Q;  What is your definition of changing poison into medicine?
A:  My definition of it is taking a situation that naturally would harm you emotionally and turning it into motivation to become happier.  By happier, I mean wiser, braver, more compassionate, and more empowered than ever before.
Q:  Have you, yourself underwent this?  If so, how did you do it?
A: Yes, I have underwent this.  I will continue to undergo this.  I did it by chanting nam myoho renge kyo.
Q:  How does it work?
A:  Let's say that somebody did something to hurt your feelings or enrage you.  You chant nam myoho renge kyo for their happiness.  As you chant nam myoho renge kyo over and over, the intensity of the pain subsides, you become wiser, more compassionate, and more understanding.  As a result, the pain ceases to overwhelm you, or cloud your view of the person who hurt you.
Q:  What if one does not want to undergo this process?  What if they think that this is bunk?
A:  Well that is their choice. This is not and should not be treated as a compulsory act.  If the person does not wish to do it, then that is their choice.  I just hope that they are ready for the possible results.
Q:  What are the alternative results?
A:  Basically, misery, though misery manifests in different ways depending on the personality.  Some people become volatile; some people become depressed.  But it all boils down to misery.  Also, this misery is a part of this phenomena called victim mentality.  Victim mentality is when  one feels that they are oppressed or affronted, are the victims of other people's negative actions, and act like that is the case.  Even when there is no evidence corroborating the feeling.
Q:  There are people who say that they have a right to feel that way because they have been victimized or are continuing to be victimized.  What do you say to that?
A:  They are right. They have a right to feel that way; however they should be ready for the "What the fuck?!" moments.
Q:  Please explain.
A:  The moments when someone you knew, who endured a similar or more intense crucible than you, overcomes their obstacles and do the things that you always wanted to do but you thought you could not do, or you were scared to do.
Q:  Have you experienced those "What the fuck?!" moments?
A:  Yes, starting in 2012, and it magnified by 2013.
Q:  So you used to have a victim mentality?
A:  Yes, in my early adulthood.
Q:  What was it like?
A:  On the plus, I could always find someone who will had sympathy for me because of the things that I endured.  On the minus, I behaved in petulant ways and blamed it on what I had been through.  Yet at the same time, I wondered why my college experience was not as fun as everyone else's.
Q:  What happened in 2012 and 2013 when you had those moments?
A:  On Facebook, I would see pictures of people that went school with me get their Bachelor degrees, Master degrees, etc.  And by January 2013, I looked up and saw that the people that I had went school with had gotten their degrees, were living in their own places, and there were those who had families of their own.  And there I was: 23, no degree, no job experience other than Wendy's, basically nothing to show for my time at my last college.
Q:  Do you think that your attitude played  a part in that scenario?
A:  My attitude played 100%  a part in it.  With the right attitude, I would have gotten a job, did some community service, attended more campus events, behaved a hell of a lot better, and did  some extracurricular activities, besides LEGASI (Leading in the Education of Gay And Straight Individuals) and concert choir.
Q: Getting back to victim mentality, what are the pros and cons?
A: Pro, a hell of a lot of sympathy from people, unless you're looking for it in military school. Pro, no accountability for your actions.  Con, your ambitions will remain unfulfilled.  Con, your dreams will not become realities.  Con, you will lose out on opportunities, good relationships, and eventually you will lose respect as your Harry Hard Luck and Sally Sob Story becomes played out like Mary J. Blige's "I'm Goin' Down" song.
Q:  So back to changing poison into medicine, how have you begun to do that?
A:  As I mentioned in my "30 Months of Daimoku" blog, I chanted for the happiness of everyone in high school who ridiculed me.  As a result, I made peace with my experience little by little, and little by little I changed.  I began to exude more compassion and wisdom.  I began  to show more respect to people.  I can truly say that I like the person that I am becoming.
Q:  I like that person too.  Thank you.
A:  You're welcome.  And thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment