Saturday, August 24, 2019

72 Months of Chanting

On this day in 2013, I decided to chant nam(u) myoho renge kyo everyday.  Initially chanting was like taking medication because it helped me to think clearer.  As a result of clearer thinking, I was able to make better decisions than in the past as it pertained to my dealings with people.  I also used this chant to release 10+ years of pent up rage, and as a result I became a more compassionate and understanding person. If there is a person tat I thank, that person is Tina Turner, because I heard of the Odaimoku of the Lotus Sutra via her biopic What's Love Got to Do With It. I hope I will be able to share nam(u) myoho renge kyo and encourage many to study the Lotus Sutra until August 24, 2098.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89OJLEnsHuM&t=2s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBgN849_nOs&t=353s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QFbMhEi_qg


nam(u) myoho renge kyo - to devote oneself to the Wonderful Dharma of the Lotus Sutra.  Whichever Nichiren tradition you are a part of, whether it is Minobu or Fuji, make time to read the Lotus Sutra for yourself.  Do not rely solely on annotations or discussions on the Lotus Sutra.  When I was 24, I instinctively knew that I would be sharing the Odaimoku, and upon learning that Myoho Renge Kyo was the Japanese title of the Lotus Sutra, I made it my business to read the Lotus Sutra for myself.  The last thing I wanted to do was attempt to tell people about a sutra that I had never read before.  I thought that would have been really gullible and indolent for me to do to anybody.  So I challenge the reader(s) to find a Lotus Sutra translation, read it for themselves, ask questions for understanding.  Thank you.  Gassho

No comments:

Post a Comment