Friday, June 16, 2017

Difficulty Should Not Lead to Defeatism

President Ikeda is quoted saying, "One of my favorite Argentine poets, the great educator Almafuerte (1854-1917), wrote 'To the weak, difficulty is a closed door.  To the strong, however, it is a door waiting to be opened.'  Difficulties impede the progress of those who are weak.  For the strong, however, they are opportunities to open wide the doors to a bright future.  Everything is determined by our attitude, by our resolve.  Our heart is what matters most."  I usually don't start a blog post with an Ikeda quote, however, today, after intermittent chanting that culminated in a total of 13 minutes, I read this quote and it caused me to reflect.  As an adult, I did not have a strong faith in myself.  As a result, I allowed the difficulties of money, rejection, other people's opinions, and my past impede my growth.  The consequences were significant.  To those who are 18-22, the best advice I can give you, as well as myself, is to have, and if you don't have, develop a strong belief in yourself.  This is how I'm doing it.  This summer, I have been chanting diligently over things that I need; things I want; past experiences that I need to convert into medicine; to be a better YMD leader of my district; to forgive a list of people stretching back into the early millenium; and to express gratitude.  A lot of my determinations seem daunting because there is a canyon between where I am and where I want to be.  However whenever doubt arises, I stop everything, and I chant to have faith that is twice the strength of an EF5 (Enhanced category-5 tornado).  This is the power of an EF5

Image result for joplin mo 2011 tornado aftermath 

Image result for joplin mo 2011 tornado aftermath

Through chanting to have faith twice that strength I shatter my doubts and with that, I proceed with my determinations.  And there are some mornings when I want to ask the god awful question of, "Why me?"  It either passes when I do Gongyo (chant nam myoho renge kyo and recite passages from the Lotus Sutra in Japanese), or read or remember this passage from Nichiren Daishonin's letter, "The Opening of the Eyes":


"Although I and my disciples may encounter various difficulties, if we do not harbor doubts in our hearts, we will as a matter of course attain Buddhahood.  Do not have doubts simply because heaven does not lend you protection.  Do not be discouraged because you do not enjoy an easy and secure existence in this life.  This is what I have taught my disciples morning and evening, and yet they begin to harbor doubts and abandon their faith.  Foolish men are likely to forget the promises they made when the crucial moment comes."

WND-1, 283

As I write this Gosho quote, I am reminded of all the times I used to bemoan my existence and my estate.  Doing that definitely helped to weaken my belief in myself and stunt my growth. So for everyone, including myself, let's not let our difficulties stagnate us.  Personally, the last thing I want is to be in my 50s, with unfilled ambitions, and more excuses than a pregnant nun.

No comments:

Post a Comment