Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Daimoku in My Life

I'll never forget the day
It started awkward-it ended great
August 24, 2013
I realized that Daimoku was my need

I had misunderstood an acquaintance
And it triggered a realization- a sad truth
Best friends- I rarely keep long
The longest was back in my junior high youth

And there I was-23
With that truth laying bare
As an only child who had been a mostly lone wolf
I really did care

My afternoon was spent
Listening to the saddest of songs
Evanescne's "Hello", Alicia Keys' "Why Do I Feel SO Sad"
Reba McEntire's "For My Broken Heart", Dolly Parton's "My Blue Tears"
And one of the saddest songs through the years
"He Stopped Loving Her Today" by George Jones

Then I remembered an interview
Tina Turner did on SpeakEasy
She confirmed that one could chant for things
So I thought, "Maybe it can work for me."

I chanted Daimoku everyday
For friends to come my way
And they came
But also, I began to change

I began to be more social
And remember aspects of their lives- to my best
And whenever they suggested something I wanted to do
Instead of my usual and fearful no, I said, "Yes."

I became more confident
And commanded acceptance on my terms
No longer will I change for an acquaintance's acceptance
No longer will that work

Quite a bold move
For someone who is atheist and gay
And attending a school
Where most people are Christian and straight

I became a better student
And activism became my drive
After years of being shamed and being hurt by the word faggot
I wanted to create a better life

I became happier
And began to find my inner strength
To rebel against anyone or anything
That was suppressing my spirit

I still have obstacles
And my emotions are sometimes a wreck
But with Daimoku and Gongyo
I'll persevere to my best

No comments:

Post a Comment