Tuesday, August 4, 2015

How Has Buddhism Changed Your Life

 It has helped me to become more of a social person and more of a human. I have become more happy, which is where it counts. And I mean more absolutely happy. This is not a happiness that is based on external factors like better job, new boyfriend, new girlfriend, more money. This is a happiness that comes from within. Through chanting nam myoho renge kyo, I was able to get in touch with the real me. The real unadulterated me. Not the me that most people who have come into contact with me wants to see all the time. The real me.
I have become more driven. My life force has increased. During my years at Morehouse, it was the reason that I have been able to go to bed at 3, 4, and in some cases 5 AM, and then wake up at 7 AM, chant nam myoho renge kyo and Gongyo, have coffee, and have the energy to make it through my classes, and I maintain a great attitude throughout the day.
I am certain that it is through practicing Nichiren Buddhism, along with treating my body like a temple, and chucking the idea of Yahweh out of my life, that I have been feeling better and better with each passing year. Once upon a time, I was in the throes of cognitive dissonance. I was one of those people who would shout in church at a random church function, but was still drowning in depression, dissatisfaction over my lot in life, insecurity, disagreeing with the Christian theology, and treating food as a means of comfort. A college change gone bust and studying history freed me from belief in the Abrahamic god,and Nichiren Buddhism helped me to build up my confidence and my self esteem.
Another thing Nichiren Buddhism has done was help e to be more compassionate. Once upon a time, in my desperation for a far better life, my thought process was "I get mine and to hell with everyone else". Now, due to Nichiren Buddhism, Biology I and the Heart Sutra, I realize that I am interconnected to everyone else. And I now wish to devote my life for LGBTI (I stands for individualistic) causes. Nichiren Buddhism, specifically the Soka Gakkai International organization (SGI)does not judge homosexuality. In fact, the SGI assists during Pride Week. If I can use this philosophy to help at least one LGBTI person to believe in himself and change his or her life for the better, then goddammit I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment