Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Human Revolution: A New Perspective

My life is changing for the better and I like that.  The change started within and then started to manifest on the outside.  It's been almost 2 years since I started. How did this start?  By practicing Nichiren Buddhism.  Millions of people have seen what the practice is like from watching the 1993 Tina Turner biopicWhat's Love Got to Do With It.  If you forgot, this is the link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89OJLEnsHuM
The words are "nam myoho renge kyo"
nam(u)-Devotion
myo-Mystical law of life
ho-Life's manifestations
renge- Lotus flower (for as the lotus flower blooms, it drops seeds backs into the mud; our cause and effect are simultaneous as well)
kyo-Sound, sutra, teaching
When I chant nam myoho renge kyo, also known as Daimoku, I tap into my inner wisdom, strength, and courage to overcome my obstacles, and to change the direction of my life. Also with Daimoku, you can chant for things and get them.  Quite antithetical with the 4 Noble Truths and Eightfold Path, but according to the monk who originated Nichiren BUddhism, Nichiren Daishonin, earthly desires can lead to enlightenment.  http://www.nichirenlibrary.org/en/wnd-1/Content/35
Two years ago, I was bemoaning the fact that I had never had close friends for a long time.  The longest time I had had a close friend was five years and that was back in elementary and junior high school.  That was something that had always bugged me for years.  Then on August 24, 2013, I had a misunderstanding with someone I had just met, and it sent me into a funk.  It was so bad that I was listening to these songs:
"My Blue Tears" Dolly Parton
"For My Broken Heart" Reba McEntire
"He Stopped Loving Yesterday" George Jones
"Why Do I Feel So Sad" Alicia Keys
"Hello" Evanescence

Then I remembered Tina Turner's interview on SpeakEasy where she said that you could chant for things.  So I chanted for friends who would accept me for who I was.  And that's when my human revolution began.  I began to make the right kind of friends, and also I began to change.

 I began to realize that it was MY fault that I had not had close friends for a long time.  I was cagey about my emotions when I was in high school because I thought it was manly, and my true emotions went against my religious beliefs. (My beliefs moonlighted between Christianity and Nation Of Islam).  At my previous college, whenever acquaintances wanted to do things, I would say no out of fear and out of being puritanically righteous.  (I used to be Christian).  I realized this during the holidays of 2013.

In 2014, I began to say yes to hanging out with friends.  There were times when hanging out had disastrous moments, but that's what made our friendships grow stronger. 

Another thing this Buddhist practice has done was motivate me to grind even harder during Morehouse College's crunch time.  This caused me to lose a lot of sleep, but it was worth it. 

Through this practice, I have began to know myself more, and have become more fearless, ballsier, stronger, more free, and a far more social person.

If you are same gender loving and you are tired of being denigrated because of the fact that you like the same sex; if you are tired of rebutting naysayers with "I'm gay but God still loves me"; if you don't like a religion that tells you how to live your life, I suggest that you try Nichiren Buddhism.

No comments:

Post a Comment